IWR School "A Crash Course in Machine Learning with Applications in Natural- and Life Sciences (ML4Nature)"
September 23-27, 2019 • Heidelberg, Germany
The IWR School 2019 gives a crash course in machine learning with applications from Natural Sciences and Life Sciences. We target young researchers from Natural Sciences and Life Sciences who want to learn more about machine learning. A background in machine learning is not required. Besides introducing the basic concepts of machine learning, we teach selected topics in more depth, such as deep learning, metric learning, transfer learning, Bayesian inverse problems, and causality. Experts from machine learning, Natural Science and Life Science explain how these machine learning approaches are utilized to solve problems in their respective fields of research.
Postgraduate students, PhD candidates, postdocs and young researchers:
- from Natural and Life Sciences: Microscopy, Biology, Medical, Physics,…
- with interest in Machine Learning
- Master students from Heidelberg University (core course listed in LSF)
The IWR School 2019 is taught in a series of courses and single lectures by:
- Christoph Lampert, Institute of Science and Technology Austria
- Oliver Stegle, European Bioinformatics Institute
- Robert Scheichl, Heidelberg University
- Dominik Janzing, Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems
- Klaus Maier Hein, German Cancer Research Center
- Bjoern Ommer, Heidelberg University
- Ullrich Köthe, Heidelberg University
- Anna Kreshuk, European Molecular Biology Laboratory
The IWR School 2019 is supported by the Cluster of Excellence STRUCTURES.
Please note that all talks will be recorded and can be viewed later by the participants.
Since there will be no programming exercises, it is not necessary to have a background in programming. We expect that you have a standard background in math (statistics, linear algebra, analysis). A background in machine learning is not required.
Please note: The application deadline has expired and the selection process is currently underway. All applicants will be notified by the end of July 2019.
Application of the IWR school „A Crash Course in Machine Learning with Applications in Natural- and Life Science (ML4Nature)“ is open to postgraduate students, postdocs and young researchers. Please apply with your current CV and a letter of motivation (for MSc/PhD students also signed by the supervisor).
Please note that the number of participants is limited. Confirmation of registration is based on the evaluation of your application.
>REGISTRATION< Deadline: July 7, 2019 [CLOSED]
After you have submitted your application via the online tool, you will get a confirmation email from the IWR School Office that we have received your application data.
- Internal (Members of Heidelberg University): 50,- EURO
- External (Other Institutions): 180,- EURO
After your participation is confirmed we will send you an invoice for the registration fee. The fee covers the attendance to the IWR school, class materials, welcome reception, lunch and coffee breaks on the course days as well as the social program.
The IWR school offers a mobility program to support participants to attend the event. In case you want to apply to the program, please indicate and explain this in your letter of motivation. The mobility program covers the participation cost and provides partial support to travel and accommodation.
The participants are kindly requested to make hotel reservations individually. Accommodation cost is not covered by the registration fee. Our guest often stay at the following hotels:
- Steffis Hostel (Room allotment available until August 15, 2019. Please use the keyword "IWR School 2019" while making your reservation.)
- Astoria Heidelberg
- Qube Hotel
You can find additional information on available hotels at the official tourism webpage of Heidelberg.
Last Update: 19.09.2019 - 13:22